UMail SPIRE Moodle UMass Online UDrive People Finder
Residential Life
  Home About Us Living & Learning Getting Involved Room Assignments Our Residences Human Resources Contact Us

Residential Programs

Special Housing Options

For more information about these housing options, please call the Student Services Office at (413) 545-2100.

Alcohol-Free Residence Hall
Central Area: Brooks Hall

Brooks Hall is an alcohol-free residence hall. Students and their guests may not possess or consume alcoholic beverages in this residence hall. The commitment of all residents to maintain an alcohol-free environment forms the basis of a respectful and encouraging community.

24-Hour Quiet Floors
Central and Southwest Areas

Residents of quiet floors live in an environment that has the maximum number of study hours. All noise (television, music, talking) must be maintained at a level agreed upon by quiet floor residents. Consideration for others is essential on quiet floors and forms the basis for a cohesive community.

Break Housing Residence Halls
Central Area: Brett Hall, Wheeler Hall (FY Pilot)
Northeast Area: Johnson Hall
Southwest Area: Prince Hall
North Apartments: All North Halls
Sylvan Area: Cashin

Break Housing halls are open during Thanksgiving, Winter Session and Spring Breaks. Please note the additional cost to reside in these halls.

Single-Sex Housing
Single-sex floors in Residential First-Year Experience halls are available in Central and Southwest. UMass Amherst provides several single-sex options. Most suites in Sylvan are single-sex.

Co-ed Suites
CHCRC, Sylvan Area and North Apartments

Returning students can request a suite or apartment to share with friends of any sex. While students assigned to a double room must be of the same sex, some suites or apartments, designated under living option as a "Coed Suite" or Coed Apt" can house male and female students who share one common living area and one bathroom. Interested students with an appointment can form a roommate group and attempt to select these spaces using the appropriate Room Selection Process. For more information on available processes, please click here.

Gender Inclusive Housing
Students whose gender identity is in transition or who do not want to identify a gender and their allies may request gender inclusive housing. If you are a returning or incoming student interested in the gender inclusive housing option, email the Housing Accommodations Staff at the Student Services Office: for more information.

Thatcher Language Program
The Thatcher Language Program is an ideal choice for upper-division students seeking fluency in another language. As these languages are spoken in the residence hall, you must demonstrate proficiency in the language you wish to study (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish) to be admitted into the program. A comfortable, small-group setting allows you to practice your conversational skills at your own pace while enjoying a variety of social and cultural activities. Students in the program must also enroll in a two-credit conversation course conducted in Thatcher. For more details, contact the Thatcher Language Program Coordinator at 413-545-1659 or email or visit the Thatcher Language Program web page.

Living in Community