New Graduate Students
Graduate students who are interested in living on campus can walk into Residential Life Student Services, Monday-Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm to inquire about available graduate spaces.
We also strongly encourage student to research off-campus options using www.umocss.org.
Graduate Housing Rates
|Occupancy||Cost per Semester|
|Fall 2015 - Spring 2016 per semester Rate||
$4,156.50 2-Bedroom Apartment
Fall 2015 Application Process for New Graduate Students
To apply for an on campus assignment, graduate students must submit an application and applicable prepayment. Complete all application fields. Residential Life will provide appointments based on the order in which we receive completed applications, which include the prepayment and the electronic application. We require that your application include the following information:
- Your UMass email address. Important Housing information will be sent to you using this email address.
- A telephone number where you can be reliably contacted.
- An answer to the U.S. felony conviction question. We cannot process your application without your response to this question.
- Prior to submitting the Housing Application, applicants for graduate housing must submit a non-refundable prepayment of $300.00 in U.S. Funds. This $300 pre-payment will be applied to the cost of housing fees on your fall bill. This amount will NOT be refunded if your residency plans change. Students who do not select an assignment or who cancel their assignment prior to the end of the contract period will forfeit the $300 non-refundable housing prepayment.
- Payment must be made using our Online Payment Service. This link will be available at the top of this page when applications are being accepted. Students using the Online Payment Service can make payments using Discover, MasterCard, American Express, VISA or eCheck (U.S. Bank account only). Students who submit an online prepayment must also pay an additional 2.7% ($8.10) service charge. Students who are unable to pay online must enclose $300.00 in U.S. currency in the form of a traveler's check, cashier's check, or U.S. Postal Money Order. No personal checks, wire transfers, credit card payments, or cash can be accepted.
Once you have submitted your $300 Housing Prepayment, complete the Graduate Housing Application and email it to: GradLiving@sacl.umass.edu
If you are unable to submit the prepayment electronically, mail your prepayment to:
Residential Life Student Services
235 Whitmore Administration Building
181 Presidents Drive,
Amherst, MA 01003-9393.
Graduate Residence Hall Contract
In addition to the application and payment, graduate students who live on campus are required to sign a Graduate Residence Hall Contract. This contract outlines the residential living obligations of both you and the University. The Contract is a specific and legally binding document. Make sure you read the Contract thoroughly. If there are parts of the Contract that you do not understand, please call Residential Life Student Services at (413) 545-2100 and ask for clarification. No graduate student will be permitted to select a room assignment until the Contract has been signed.
For more information, please contact Residential Life Student Services
Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 am- 5 pm, 235 Whitmore Administration Building
To search for off-campus accommodations, or to submit a Renter Profile, please visit the Off Campus Housing website www.umocss.org
Selecting a Room Assignment
In most instances, when a completed application and prepayment is received an email will be sent to graduate students' OIT email address instructing them to log on to SPIRE, sign the Graduate Residence Hall Contract, submit a Housing Profile. This email will also include instructions for using Online Room Selection in SPIRE to select a fall 2015 assignment. All graduate students who submit a completed application in time to secure an available space will see their appointment post on July 14, 2015 by 3:00pm. Room Selection will be available from July 27, 2015 - August 2, 2015 at 11:59 EST.
For more information about what you will need for your room, please click here.
Lincoln Apartment Parking
Students living in the Lincoln apartments are eligible to purchase a parking permit from Parking Services. Spaces are limited and permits will be sold on a first come, first served basis. Student Services must notify Parking Services that you are eligible for a parking permit before you may purchase a permit, therefore you may not request a permit until after you have selected a space on campus.
One week after you have secured a housing assignment, you may contact Parking Services to inquire about available lot spaces.